Monday, February 27, 2012

Do you "need" a nice car?


Do you “need” a fine automobile? If you are a daily commuter then the answer, in your mind, may be no. But I challenge you to think about the ramifications of driving a boring vehicle even if you are only driving to work daily.
Consider this, today you drive to work and it takes 30 to 50 minuets to arrive. You drive a 93 Toyota Corolla and it is a thrifty and fugal car to drive. Nothing is wrong with seeking gas mileage and reliability as a driving force for purchasing a vehicle. You are thinking, it only has to get me back and forth to work and this is true. But try the same commute in the luxury of a Jaguar XJ or with your foot on the accelerator peddle in a Corvette Grand Sport. Things change in your commute, not just the rate at which you arrive but the way your mind works changes. You have “feelings” when you get into your car and you work through those feelings on the way in to work. Personally, I get exited about a great driving car and every time I ride a motorcycle I feel great when I get off. Years ago I had the opportunity to drive a NASCAR on the track and the only thing I could think when I got out was, “I can’t believe they pay people to do that!”. Millions of dollars, no less. I would gladly do it for free. I think the old saying, “it’s the journey and not the destination that counts, is true. Apply the same thought process to life. Your destination is not what you are looking forward too. Is it? Journey is all we really have. Push forward towards your journey. The daily commute may be metaphorical for your life’s journey. I could be reading too much into it but the principle still “holds water”.
Look towards having a better life going back and forth to work. Some days, that may be your only release and or fun. Seek out those pleasures, when you can.
You may say, you would love to drive a great car but you can’t afford it. The Corolla is the best you can do. Not so, if you are willing to search pre owned cars and or rent on occasion.
The excitement of driving is a great stress reliever even while doing the speed limit. All of the latest automatic breaking and adaptive controls worry me. I think there is a demographic that is looking towards a “Minority Report” style existence where we just get in our cars and tell them where we want to go and that is it. No more shifting gears or steering for that matter. Boring.
I don’t even like paddle shifting because I am a traditionalist who enjoys the feel of  depressing  a clutch and shifting a stick . Old fashioned, I know but I am talking about hitting the twisties on North Carolina back roads, not the track. Agreed, the paddles are faster shifting but not nearly as fun. If you are going to use paddles I believe they should just come up with a quicker shifting CVT smooth shifting system like Nissan’s. Skip shifting altogether…………which brings us closer to the driver less state stated previously , IE Minority Report, and that is what I would rather avoid in my lifetime. Call me old fashioned but I want to enjoy the ride. Tell me which interior you would enjoy more on a daily basis? Corolla on the left, Jag on the right. No Brainer.  Dig it?


No comments:

Post a Comment